Sunday, June 7, 2009

beware of avocado's



it has been about 2 weeks now since i had my run in with an avocado. it was memorial day weekend and we had been invited over to some friends for an annual memorial day cookout. as ususal i was asked to bring a salad. i made my usual spring salad but this year decided to add an avocado to it.

my cousin had had a run in with an avocado a couple months ago and has needed surgery and is still undergoing rehab and physical therapy as she severed tendons and nerves in her hand. when pitting the avocado, the knife slipped and went completely thru her hand between her middle and ring finger.

fortunately for me, i was much more fotunate. i also was attempting to pit the avocado and thinking to myself i needed to be careful. well, like my cousin, my knife also slipped. for me, the knife also went completely thru my finger, near the base of my left pointer finger and then entered my middle finger. i was much luckier as i did not cut any tendons or nerves. for once in my life i am happy to have short pudgy fingers. the knife only cut thru my skin/fat, missing anything else.

immediately after there was a big discussion as to who would drive me to the ER, i think everyone wanted an excuse to speed! well, i stood firm and stuck it out with just elevating it and icing it and in about 30-45 minutes the bleeding stopped. i cleaned it out as best i could with soap and water and applied neosporin and kept it bandaged.

it has healed really well and i am now able to get back to doing normal activities and typing without difficulty. i know i am really lucky that my injury wasn't any worse. i have since seen different little gagits that you can purchase to cut and core an avocado. i just have to decide which one to try as i love avocado's too much to forgo eating them. so for those of you out there who use a knife to get the pit out of the avocado, beware and please be careful!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That's awful. I watched Emeril Lagasse on his program one time show how to peel an avocado and I've done it that way since.

    But it involves a knife still so I guess you could still cut yourself.

    Thanks for the warning and glad it is healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, how scary. I could have told you that nothing good ever comes from eating "green" food. :) I'm glad it wasn't any worse and that it's healing ok but I think you should have gone to the ER when it happened. You got lucky. Now buy one of those gadgets before you have anymore avocados.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I'm glad it wasn't serious, though I agree - you probably should have gone to the hospital. Glad it's healing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I suggest "Wholly Quacamole." Granted you can't get large chunks but it is chunky, comes in a small zip lock bag which you squeeze out. No knives, no danger of wounds.

    So glad it turned out ok and you are healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, all that nurses training paid off, huh? Glad you are on the mend.

    So, did you get a chance to eat the salad?

    ReplyDelete